Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Primitive DIY Towel Rack

I needed a towel rack for the bathroom that I've been working on. I love the antique blanket cranes and thought that a smaller version would work perfectly for a towel rack. This is what I came up with.


If you recall, I had used the tines from an old hay rake for the pegs on my peg board.


I used the remaining parts to make my new towel rack.


It turns back and forth just like the blanket cranes. This makes it nice to slide the towels off the end.


The hinged end is simply a nail on each end that allows the rake to pivot. I really like how it turned out.

I purchased a lovely new reed diffuser at a a local prim gift shop and it now has a new home on top of the medicine cabinet.

I ended up hot gluing it to the cabinet, to be sure it didn't get knocked off.

A view of the medicine cabinet (my husband built the medicine cabinet many years ago) and the towel rack.

This is an overall shot of the bathroom counter area, including my peg board. The bathroom is very small and it is really difficult to get a good picture. I still have to replace the faucet and the light fixture, but then this room is done and I'm off to my next project. Print Friendly and PDF

9 comments:

  1. I love your idea of the towel rack from a rake!!!! It looks wonderful and is going to be a wonderful conversation piece when friends visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful towel rack only I want it to be my new quilt rack!! I'll be showing hubby this one tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two awesome projects, Suzanne. I love them both but I especially love the towel crane.

    Now if only my DH was the handy type...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bathroom is very pretty and that towel rack is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely bathroom and I just love your new towel rack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifl! I love the towel rack and the candle stand. I have a tiny bathroom too and I bought a stainless steel one that works just like that. I have to tell you it was the best thing ever. No more stinky towels. The rack hags right above the radiator and next to the window. In the Summer the fresh air dries the towels and in the Winter the heat from the radiator. With only one tiny bathroom and three people, wet towels had been an issue for years. I love my towel rack, I only wish it was as lovely as yours. Yours is truly the cutest thing ever! B=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This bathroom looks so cozy, and I just love the towel rack. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful arbor! Wow, your hubby is a darling for building it. My own hubby cleaned up my whole potting bench and area yesterday so I'm not complaining, still, I wish I had an arbor like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This, along with the rest of your work is incredible. I found your site today whilst searching for traditional christmas decorations and I've enjoyed reading through all of your blogs. Your creations are very inspiring and impressive and I look forward to seeing what else you come up with! All the best wishes for you.

    Susan Graham

    ReplyDelete

I love reading each and every comment and welcome any questions or feedback you may have.

^ Scroll to Top